Each year at the ASWB Annual Meeting of the delegate assembly, delegates vote for individuals to serve on ASWB’s Board of Directors and Nominating Committee. The Board of Directors oversees the governance of the association, and the Nominating Committee identifies and nominates individuals to run for election each year.
The Board of Directors is made up of 11 individuals
- President-elect or past president
- Director at large, licensed social worker (three positions)
- Director at large, public member (two positions)
- Director at large, member board administrator
- Director at large, open
The Nominating Committee is made up of five individuals, each elected to serve a two-year term.
Board of Directors time commitment
- Approximately four to five in-person meetings lasting three to four days including travel time
- One or two conference calls
- Occasional email votes
- All in-person Board meetings require overnight stays, usually over a weekend
- Upon election: immediately following close of annual meeting (avg. one hour)
- Late January/early February: in conjunction with Federation of Associations of Regulatory Boards Forum, various locations
- April/May: before the ASWB Education Meeting and attend the entire meeting
- July/August: usually in conjunction with the Examination Committee
- October/November: before and after ASWB Annual Meeting of the Delegate Assembly
- Conference call meetings or videoconferences as needed
- Email decisions as needed
Committee liaison meetings
- Board members may be asked to serve as liaison to the Board of Directors for a committee or task force, as assigned by the president.
- Liaison service can vary from four additional meetings per year (Exam Committee) to as few as one meeting per year (Bylaws and Resolutions Committee).
- Most committee or task force meetings follow the schedule of a Friday arrival, Saturday meeting, and departure on Sunday. The Exam Committee meets for 2.5 days four times per year.
The Nominating Committee consists of five members elected by ASWB delegates. The committee’s primary responsibility is to compile an election slate for the Board of Directors and the Nominating Committee.