Getting your first license

Licensing is for all social workers, not just clinical social workers. Most states and provinces offer multiple categories of licensure, recognizing different scopes of practice.

Requirements vary by state or province, but in general you’ll need to:

  • Complete a social work degree
  • Apply for your license
  • Pass the appropriate social work licensing exam

If you’re getting a clinical social work license or a license to practice independently, you’ll also need to complete supervised practice, commonly referred to as supervision.

Select a state or province to begin the application process

To learn more, visit the licensing board website for your state or province.