Continuing competence

Nearly every jurisdiction that issues social work licenses requires that social workers document their efforts to maintain competence as a social worker. Most often, maintaining competence takes the form of continuing education.

The bottom line

Continuing competence is the responsibility of the individual social worker—not the CE provider, the licensing board, or the professional association. It is up to you to understand your jurisdiction’s requirements for continuing education—how your jurisdiction tabulates CE time (“clock hours” versus “contact hours,” for example), which types of courses will not be accepted, etc.

The final say

Your jurisdiction’s social work board always has the final say about whether the continuing education courses you took will be approved. Familiarize yourself with your licensing board’s continuing education rules. If you’re considering a particular CE program and have a question about whether your board will accept it, contact your board for clarification before you take the course.

Getting continuing education credits

Maintaining your social work license requires more than just filing paperwork every two years. Regulatory boards recognize the importance of lifelong learning to the social work profession.

Learn more about ASWB's Approved Continuing Education program

For CE providers

Organizations that offer continuing education for social workers can apply to participate in ASWB’s Approved Continuing Education program.

Learn more about ACE options