Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice Committee
The purpose of the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice Committee is to develop and promote strategies and best practices for enhancing racial, social, sexual, and gender diversity and inclusion within the association, including its regulatory board members, through recommendation and review of policies and actions.
To accomplish its work, the DEIJ Committee will accept suggestions from non-committee members seeking to raise awareness of current challenges in these areas. The committee works closely with the ASWB Board president and the CEO and reports to the Board of Directors. The committee’s work will be guided by the ASWB strategic framework whenever applicable. The ultimate goal of this committee is to provide for the betterment of the association and all of its members, the public they serve, and the greater professional social work community so everyone is provided with a professional and inclusive experience.
Angie DeLille (MN), chair
Sonia Andhi Bilkhu (BC)
Hyacinth McKee (LA)
Endsley Real (GA)
Melanie Robinson Findlay (MA)
Ann-Marie Buchanan, board liaison
The DEI&J Committee customarily meets in-person once a year in the summer. This one-day meeting is usually held on a Friday or Saturday. Attendees travel the day before the meeting and the day after the meeting. Information about the date and location of the meeting is included in the committee appointment letter from the ASWB President when invited to serve on the committee. In-person meeting attendance is fully funded by ASWB. Conference calls or virtual meetings may be required.
- Reviewing governance documents that relate to diversity/inclusion and making recommendations for change and implementation to bylaws and policies where appropriate.
- Creating proposals, policies, and best practices to support recruitment and retention of volunteers and elected members to ensure representation of diverse backgrounds.
- Creating proposals, policies, and best practices to assist member boards in the recruitment and retention of members and volunteers from diverse backgrounds.
- Actively promoting diversity initiatives across the association and supporting members, volunteers, and staff who participate in such activities.
- Ensuring that ASWB’s initiatives reflect the most current diversity best practices in the United States and Canada.
Joining a committee
Most committee members are appointed by the president and approved by the Board of Directors at its first meeting of the calendar year. Anyone who serves on an ASWB member board or is staff to an ASWB member board is eligible to serve on a committee.