Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice Committee
The purpose of the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice Committee is to develop and promote strategies and best practices for enhancing racial, social, sexual, and gender diversity and inclusion within the association, including its regulatory board members, through recommendation and review of policies and actions.
To accomplish its work, the DEIJ Committee will accept suggestions from non-committee members seeking to raise awareness of current challenges in these areas. The committee works closely with the ASWB Board president and the CEO and reports to the Board of Directors. The committee’s work will be guided by the ASWB strategic framework whenever applicable. The ultimate goal of this committee is to provide for the betterment of the association and all of its members, the public they serve, and the greater professional social work community so everyone is provided with a professional and inclusive experience.
Angie Hirsch (MN), chair
Hoon Kim (BC)
Hyacinth McKee (LA)
Geraldine Poirier-Baiani (NB)
Melanie Robinson Findlay (MA)
Ann-Marie Buchanan (TN), board liaison
- Reviewing governance documents that relate to diversity/inclusion and making recommendations for change and implementation to bylaws and policies where appropriate.
- Creating proposals, policies, and best practices to support recruitment and retention of volunteers and elected members to ensure representation of diverse backgrounds.
- Creating proposals, policies, and best practices to assist member boards in the recruitment and retention of members and volunteers from diverse backgrounds.
- Actively promoting diversity initiatives across the association and supporting members, volunteers, and staff who participate in such activities.
- Ensuring that ASWB’s initiatives reflect the most current diversity best practices in the United States and Canada.