Reciprocity application instructions
These instructions are for applicants seeking a license in Massachusetts based on reciprocity.
- Applicants must possess a current social work license substantially equivalent to the appropriate Massachusetts license in education and experience requirements. A certified licensure verification form for all licenses, current and expired, must be submitted in the original, sealed envelope from the issuing jurisdiction.
- An official, certified transcript is required for the highest relevant degree. The transcript must be sent electronically directly from the school to email@example.com.
- Three professional references are required. All references must be qualified to evaluate the applicant’s social work experience. Please provide a current email address for each reference so that a secure link can be sent to the references listed on your application.
- LCSW, LSW and LSWA applicants: at least one reference must be licensed at the LICSW or LCSW level, or equivalent social work license in another jurisdiction.
- LICSW applicants: at least one reference must be licensed at the LICSW level, or equivalent social work license in another jurisdiction.
- An official Certified Score Report for the appropriate level of passed ASWB examination is required.
- A criminal history acknowledgment form (PDF) must be notarized, signed with corresponding dates, and emailed as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A 2” x 2” photo must be uploaded via the online application, or emailed as an attachment to email@example.com.
- Applicants will be notified via email when the CORI forms are received, the application has been approved, or if the application needs further attention.
- If applicable, applicants will receive information regarding registering for the ASWB examination.
- If an examination is required, applicants may not register for the examination until the application has been approved.
- LICSW applicants must review the MassHealth enrollment requirement. Learn more.
Reciprocity application fees
Examination registration fee will be due at the time of registration.
Massachusetts licensure fee will be due after examination and licensure requirements have been met.