- An official certified MSW or DSW transcript from a CSWE accredited school must be submitted in a sealed school envelope.
- A current Massachusetts LCSW (or equivalent masters level social work license in another jurisdiction) is required.
- Three references are required. All references must be qualified to evaluate the applicant’s social work experience. Please provide a current email address for each reference so that a secure link can be sent to the references listed on your online application.
- Two licensed professional references are required. Qualified professional references include:
- LICSW or equivalent clinical social work license in another jurisdiction
- Mental health counselor (LMHC) or equivalent in another jurisdiction
- Family and marriage therapy (LMFT) or equivalent in another jurisdiction
- Psychiatric nurse with a specialty in clinical mental health.
- A clinical supervisor licensed at the LICSW level (or equivalent clinical social work license in another jurisdiction) shall document the applicant’s qualifying clinical work experience:
- For MSW graduates with a degree conferred date after August 31, 2011, a minimum of 3,500 hours clinical social work services experience obtained over a period of not less than two years after the issuance of a LCSW
- For MSW graduates with a degree conferred date prior to August 31, 2011, a minimum of 3,500 hours clinical social work services experience obtained over a period of not less than two years after the MSW degree conferred date
- Documented supervision must be a minimum of 100 hours of individual face-to-face clinical supervision, at a rate of 1 hour for every 35 hours worked (with a maximum of 1 hour per week). If the experience is earned at a rate less than 35 hours per week, the experience and supervision hours must be computed on a pro-rata basis.
- Supervisors must be licensed in the jurisdiction where the supervision takes place. All work experience must be complete as of the application date. If there are multiple supervisors, each supervisor must complete a supervisory reference.
- A criminal history acknowledgment form must be printed, signed, and returned to ASWB.
- A 2” x 2” photo must be uploaded via the online application, or mailed with other required documentation.
- Applicants will be notified via email when the application has been approved or needs further attention.
- If approved, applicants will receive information regarding registering for the ASWB examination. Click to view ASWB’s Candidate Handbook.
- Applicants may not register for the examination until the application has been approved.
- LICSW applicants must review the MassHealth enrollment requirement. Click to view the Mass Health Enrollment requirement.
Homepage > New Application Instructions: LICSW
Now accepting online applications for social work licenses in Massachusetts!
ASWB is accepting online applications for Massachusetts social work licenses.