ASWB is now accepting applications from qualified social workers who are interested in writing questions, called “items,” for the social work licensing exams.
Because the program accepts only 20 to 25 participants per year, applicants must undergo a competitive screening process that matches the applicant’s background, demographics, areas of expertise, and aptitude as demonstrated on an assessment instrument with the current needs of the association. The pool of item writers must be well-balanced for diversity in many areas.
In order to participate in the program, social workers must
- Have a degree in social work.
- Hold a currently valid social work license or Canadian registration.
- Be currently practicing social work (teaching social work courses is also considered practice).
- Complete all application and screening documents.
- Be available to attend a weekend training session, August 26-28, 2019. ASWB pays for travel, meals, and lodging during this training.
- Sign a confidentiality agreement regarding the confidentiality of all examination materials, and an acknowledgment of a prohibition on participating in any licensure examination preparatory courses or materials while writing items for the exam and for a period of five years after leaving the program.
- Sign an agreement prohibiting the writer from taking the examination for a year after leaving the program in any category to which the writer has contributed.
How to apply
- Download and complete the screening document. This document is a fillable PDF file and must be saved to your computer, filled in, and saved again. If this document is not filled in completely, your application will not be considered.
- Write a letter of interest either as Microsoft Word document or as a PDF.
- Submit a resume either as a Microsoft Word document or as a PDF.
- Complete the item writer questionnaire and upload the screening document, letter of interest, and resume.
|Application deadline||December 31, 2018|
|Application review||January-March 2019|
|Applicant notification||April 2019|
Washington, D.C. (ASWB covers all travel, lodging, and meals for this 2.5 day workshop.)
|August 23-25, 2019|
Becoming an item writer is a great way to contribute to the profession, sharpen your own writing and critical thinking skills, enhance your professional portfolio, and earn some extra income. Writers accepted into the program are paid $1,500 for 30 questions (called “items”) approved for Examination Committee review. The 30-item contracts are usually completed in six to eight months and are renewable indefinitely depending on the performance of the writer.