The ASWB Path to Licensure program is pleased to announce that applications are now being accepted for the ASWB Path to Licensure Institute class of 2019.
Path to Licensure is an initiative of ASWB to support collaboration among educators, practitioners, and regulators in preparing students for their professional journey, a bridging from education to professional practice. The goal is to help students understand social work regulation as essential for protecting the public and ensuring high standards for safe and competent professional practice. By integrating licensure and regulation education throughout social work programs, Path to Licensure builds student knowledge of regulatory requirements and eases student anxiety about the licensing process and social work regulation.
ASWB Path to Licensure Institute scholars
- Learn about integrating information about social work licensure into the social work program
- Implement a Path to Licensure program in their school
- Complete research on social work regulation
- Receive a US$2,500 stipend to cover participation in the summer intensive meeting
The 2019 ASWB Path to Licensure Institute seeks a diverse group of six social work scholars who bring expertise from many academic specialties.
The institute includes a week of intensive learning and planning, to be held June 10-14, 2019, at ASWB offices in Culpeper, Virginia. ASWB will provide lodging.
Scholars will develop a plan to implement in their schools during the 2019-2020 school year and will design and complete a research project on a current regulatory issue by August 2022. Path to Licensure Institute scholars work with ASWB staff and institute faculty consultants on these projects.
The faculty for the class of 2019 are:
- Carl F. Brun, Ph.D., LISW-S, associate provost, assistant vice-president, curricular programs, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio. He currently serves on the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage & Family Therapist Board and was on the task force for the Curricular Guide for Licensing and Regulation.
- Anwar Najor-Durack, Ph.D., LMSW, director of field education, Wayne State University School of Social Work, Detroit, Michigan. She has served in the past on the Michigan Board of Social Work and was on the steering committee for the Curricular Guide for Licensing and Regulation.
In addition, scholars who are selected for the Path to Licensure Institute will have the option to attend one of two ASWB New Board Member Trainings prior to the summer intensive program at ASWB. Cost of travel, lodging, and meals for the New Board Member Training will be covered by ASWB.
January 21, 2019: Path to Licensure Institute application deadline
February 8, 2019: Notification of scholars selected for the class of 2019
May 20, 2019: Deadline to submit summary of your school’s faculty and student surveys. (Details on the survey to administer will be sent via email to applicants chosen for the class of 2019)
ASWB New Board Member Training (optional, but strongly recommended):
- March 28-31, 2019, in Charleston, South Carolina
- May 30-June 2, 2019, in Alexandria, Virginia
June 10-14, 2019: Path to Licensure Institute intensive in Culpeper, Virginia
August 2022: Research completed and submitted to ASWB