ASWB has adjusted its operations because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The information provided here is intended to help you navigate the changing circumstances of this public health emergency. It will be updated as the situation changes.
Your ASWB exam registration
- ASWB is temporarily discontinuing paper, fax, and phone registrations. Online registration remains open.
- Although we are not taking phone calls at this time, we are still available to assist you. Please email your questions to email@example.com. We are responding to inquiries as quickly as possible. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we work to assist you, other candidates, and member boards while maintaining a safe working environment for our staff.
- ASWB is waiving registration change fees ($30) to apply extensions to candidate registration expiration dates affected by developments related to COVID-19.
- Email ASWB for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your authorization number and your name as it appears on your Authorization to Test.
- If state or provincial approval to test has expired, ASWB will work with candidates and jurisdictional boards to explore possible solutions.
Your Pearson VUE testing appointment
- Pearson VUE test centers have reopened where local orders allow. Because of social distancing requirements, testing capacity is limited. ASWB highly recommends that you check for any travel restrictions before scheduling an examination out of state. If you travel to a state that has implemented travel restrictions, you may not be permitted to test.
Please visit the Pearson VUE COVID-19 Update Page for the latest information about exam delivery across their global test center network.
If Pearson VUE cancels your ASWB examination appointment, Pearson VUE will contact you via email. Examination appointments that Pearson VUE cancels may be rescheduled at no cost.
- If you wish to cancel or change your ASWB examination appointment, please follow the instructions in the information sheet on making an appointment for the exam.
- Because of the high call volume Pearson VUE is experiencing, please cancel/reschedule online whenever possible.
- If you need to cancel your appointment with less than 24 hours’ notice, you must do so by calling Pearson VUE. No cancellations can be made online less than 24 hours before a scheduled appointment.
- If you are unable to reach a Pearson VUE agent by phone, email ASWB for assistance at email@example.com. Include your authorization number and your name as it appears on your Authorization to Test.
- As of May 12, exam candidates must bring and wear their own face mask while at the test center and throughout the exam. Any surgical or cloth face mask, including a homemade face mask, is acceptable as long as it fully covers the nose and mouth. Candidates without a face mask will be denied testing services. Pearson VUE is unable to provide face masks to candidates.
- Until further notice, candidates are permitted to access their locker for water only. This is an exception to the Candidate Rules Agreement. Candidates must bring their own bottled water and will be permitted to drink in the waiting area.
Visit the COVID-19 FAQ
If you have updates to this information, please email Cara Sanner.
Information on state-level teletherapy provisions (Excel spreadsheet)
What can regulators do?
Social work regulatory boards are already taking action to facilitate social work services for people confronting the COVID-19 pandemic. You can learn more specifics in the section for social workers, above.