Exciting ACE program changes including NEW individual course approval
ASWB is pleased to announce that starting April 1, 2019, we have expanded the ACE program to offer a second type of approval. CE providers may still apply for provider approval, and now they may also apply for ACE individual course approval. This change offers CE providers more choice with ACE.
For some CE providers, applying for individual course approval may be the right option because they plan to offer only one or two courses, they plan to offer courses in a jurisdiction that requires individual course approval (e.g., New Jersey), or they need approval for a cosponsored course. For others, applying to be an ACE provider may be right because they wish to offer many courses without having to submit each course for approval.
New ACE individual course approval applications are available in the appendix of the ACE Handbook.
ACE Handbook and website updates
Please make sure to check out both to find the most current information including:
- updated ACE standards
- a chart to help CE providers understand the differences between ACE provider-level approval and individual course approval
- new applications
Transitioning ASWB New Jersey course approval to ACE individual course approval
As of April 1, 2019, the ASWB New Jersey Course Approval Program transitions to the ACE program’s individual course approval. Please note these important dates and requirements concerning use of ACE approval statements on course listings.
April 1, 2019: Individual course approval begins; ASWB New Jersey Course Approval Program ends.
- New Jersey course approval automatically becomes part of ACE individual course approval.
- Any course submitted for approval or renewal on or after April 1 must use the ACE individual course approval statement.
April 1, 2019–June 30, 2019: Transition period.
- Currently approved courses (i.e., courses approved before April 1 through New Jersey CAP and still in their approval period) and courses submitted for approval before April 1 and approved during the transition period may use either the New Jersey course approval statement or the new ACE individual course approval statement, found in the ACE Handbook.
July 1, 2019: ACE individual course approval statement required.
- All currently approved courses must use the ACE individual course approval statement, found in the ACE Handbook.
On the road again: ACE debuts exhibit booth and materials
ASWB frequently exhibits at social work conferences throughout the United States and Canada. When we do, we always include information about the ACE program in our exhibit materials. This year, however, ACE is stepping out with its own exhibit booth showcasing the ACE program.
The new exhibit and coordinating literature focusing on social workers made their debut in March at the 2019 Psychotherapy Networker Symposium in Washington, D.C. The symposium is a professional development conference attended by more than 3,500 mental health practitioners, 40 percent of whom are social workers. ACE staff members were on hand to encourage licensed social workers to find CE through the ACE program.
In addition to cards highlighting the importance of high-quality CE, we distributed hundreds of tangle toys imprinted with the words “Social work continuing education: untangled.” The tangles and information cards keep the ACE program name and website in front of licensed social workers as they plan their continuing education.