Communications and Marketing Specialist
Between you and I, it’s hard to find good editors these days. If you can find the error(s) in this ad, you might be just the detail-oriented eagle-eye we’re looking for. The Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), a nonprofit organization based in Culpepper, Virginia, is seeking an experienced copy editor with strong writing skills and a background in journalism to join our communications and marketing team. The successful candidate will have primary responsibility for editing and proofreading materials both online and on paper and must have working knowledge of AP, Chicago, and APA styles. The ability to research and write in a variety of formats is also sought. Knowledge of social work is not require, but association experience is helpful. Candidates will be tested on their writing and editing skills. This is NOT a freelance or telecommuting opportunity. Learn more at www.aswb.org.
Summary of Job Responsibilities and Requirements
- Collaboratively participates in the development, production, and maintenance of Association communications, including Association News, ASWB websites, brochures and booklets, annual reports, exhibits and advertisements, presentations, video and audio scripts, email campaigns, and articles for publication.
- Drafts press releases and distributes through appropriate channels in a timely manner.
- Assists with internal publications as needed, serving as project lead as assigned.
- Ensures the quality and integrity of marketing and communications materials by editing and proofreading content prior to release. Accurately applies house style, AP, Chicago, and APA styles as appropriate. Ensures deadlines are met.
- Participates in the assessment of current communications and marketing publications and outreach and assists in new or changed efforts in these areas.
- When assigned lead writer role, effectively conducts research, fact checking (including review by stakeholder), and interviewing processes to complete the assignment on time.
- Other assigned duties or special projects, as needed.
Key Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, or related field required; related certifications a plus.
- Two or more years of experience in editorial production of publications and communications.
- Two or more years of experience in media relations required, with demonstrated knowledge of legislative and other sources for news and information.
- Strong writing skills required, including demonstrated knowledge of different writing styles required for social media, print, and audio/video platforms.
- Strong editing, and proofreading skills required, including ability to apply AP, Chicago, and APA style.
- Very skilled in Microsoft Word, especially the review and editing functions, and Adobe Acrobat Pro and its features.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (e.g., Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Flash, etc.), Excel, and PowerPoint desired.
- Experience with Outlook and experience with standard office equipment
Competitive Salary & Benefits Package including health, dental, life insurance, and retirement!
APPLY by sending your resume, cover letter identifying the error(s) in this Overview of this ad, and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V ASWB reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.