Human Resources Manager
The Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) is conducting a search for a newly created Human Resources Manager to proactively manage and help maintain the goals of the Association’s strategic plan. This non-supervisory position is responsible for performing advanced, specialized and administrative duties in all areas of human resources and requires active, hands on involvement in day to day and long-term deliverables. Other ASWB projects, as needed. Reports to the Director of Finance and Administration.
For over thirty years, the organization has moved its mission forward to strengthen protection of the public by providing support and services to the social work regulatory community to advance safe, competent and ethical practices. ASWB’s members include the social work regulatory bodies of 50 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and all 10 Canadian provinces. In addition to other services, the organization develops and administers the social work licensing exam used by member boards.
We are 50+ full time employees strong with a budget of $15+M. ASWB offers a friendly, collaborative work environment, a new office building on 35 acres (est. 2019), and the opportunity to have a positive impact on our mission. Come grow with us! Learn more at www.aswb.org.
Summary of Job Responsibilities and Requirements
- Oversees human resources functions, including but not limited to: recruitment, selection, training and development, compensation and benefits, payroll back-up, HR related regulatory compliance, policies and procedures, and vendor management.
- Plans, organizes and controls all activities of the function. Participates in developing functional goals, objectives and systems. Evaluates reports, decisions and results of HR initiatives in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of HR and services performed.
- Acts as an internal consultant by analyzing and recommending solutions to human resource issues (e.g., compensation, employee relations, org development, training and development, supervisory consulting, etc. relating to the function.
- Implements and annually updates the performance management process and compensation program; rewrites job descriptions as necessary; conducts annual salary surveys and develops merit pool (salary budget); analyzes compensation; monitors the performance evaluation program and revises as necessary.
- Advises and works with management team to develop, revise and implement HR policies and procedures; Board approval, as needed. Develops, recommends and implements personnel policies and procedures; prepares and maintains handbook on policies and procedures.
- Performs benefits administration to include claims resolution, change reporting, and is part of team for annual re-evaluation of policies for cost-effectiveness.
- Conducts recruitment effort for all exempt, nonexempt and temporary workers; writes and places advertisements; works with supervisors to screen and interview candidates; conducts reference checking; extends job offers; coordinate and oversees new-employee orientations; monitors career-path program and employee relations counseling; conducts exit interviews.
- Establishes and maintains human resources records and reports. Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings, such as seminars. Maintains organizational charts and employee directory.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state and local employment laws. Conducts periodic audits of human resource activities to ensure compliance with laws, policies and procedures. Develops methods and procedures for compiling and analyzing data for reports and special projects. Prepares and maintains special internal and external reports as needed.
- Participates in professional development sessions or seminars.
- Works on special projects; May lead special and cross-functional project teams.
- Coordinate resources (internal & external) and presents training sessions
- Demonstrates effective communications, coaching, training and development. Models a combined approach of collaboration and accountability against established performance goals.
- Performs additional responsibilities related to the success of the Association.
Key Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or closely related area.
- Current HR certified (e.g., SHRM-S/CP or HRCI S/PHR) or ability to obtain within 12 months of hire.
- Minimum of five years Human Resources experience with progressive responsibility.
- Specializes in recruitment / selection and staff training / development highly preferred.
- Effective and proactive leadership, team communication, facilitation, problem solving, and decision making.
- Effectively uses discretion and independent judgment, and without supervision.
- Evidences the highest level of ethical behavior and practice; able to generate trust among colleagues, staff, and leaders.
- Written and oral communication proficiency, consultation and relationship building.
- Non-profit human resources or social services experience a plus.
- Maintains strict adherence to the Association’s policy on confidentiality in all matters regarding the examinations and other business information about the Association.
- Skilled with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as experience with standard office equipment.
- Experience with automated systems, especially payroll systems including system implementation and integration experience.
- Seeks and participates in continuing education or professional development related to the position, the Association, or both.
- Typical work schedule is Monday through Friday; this full-time role is not a telecommuting opportunity. Minimal travel.
- Successfully complete pre-employment background screening.
Competitive Salary & Benefits Package including health, dental, life insurance, PTO, and retirement!
APPLY by sending your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled.
EOE M/F/D/V ASWB reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.